Senior leadership of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and National Societies in the region responding to this crisis, gave a joint press briefing on 11 November 2013.
The briefing highlighted the humanitarian situation and critical needs in Syria and its neighbouring countries. The briefing was moderated by Robert Tickner, Secretary General of Australian Red Cross, and formal remarks were made by:
· Dr Abdul Rahman Attar, President, Syrian Arab Red Crescent
· Peter Maurer, President, International Committee of the Red Cross
· Bekele Geleta, Secretary General, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
Other panellists who participated in the question and answer session were:
· Dr Yaseen Ahmed Abbas, President, Iraq Red Crescent
· Mr Georges Kettaneh, Secretary General, Lebanese Red Cross
· Dr. Younis Al-Khatib, President, Palestine Red Crescent
· Dr Mohammed Al-Hadid, President, Jordan Red Crescent Society
· Mr Ahmet Lütfi Akar, President, Turkish Red Crescent
These panellists and other senior leaders from 189 National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies worldwide are in Sydney from 11 to 18 November for the biennial International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement statutory meetings.